Why An Evening Workout is Great for Boosting your Metabolism
Metabolism plays an important role in your workout progress whether your goal is to lose weight, gain muscle or increase cardiovascular properties. Metabolism is all the biochemical processes in your body that makes your organs work normally. For example, digesting food, breathing and your body’s ability to repair cells.
Some people have naturally fast metabolism which means that their body works faster, or the food they consume is digested quicker and they need to consume more calories throughout the day to keep their energy levels high. Those people also recover faster as their body is able to repair cells and use nutrients better.
The good thing about metabolism is that you have control over it. You can boost your metabolism and have a positive effect on it with your daily habits.
Whether you’ve always been a morning person or are already an evening achiever, keep on reading and we’ll tell you why you should consider having those evening workouts in your days.
Scientific studies have shown that evening workouts can boost your overall metabolism more than morning workouts. As morning workouts increase the ability of muscle cells to metabolize sugar and fat, during and after evening workouts your body’s focus is on your overall metabolism and making it greater for a longer period of time.
Benefits of evening workouts for better metabolism:
- Increased overall metabolism. Metabolism plays an important role on how your whole body works, everything is connected and when you boost your metabolism, you also boost your workout progress.
- Increased muscle strength. Studies have shown that working out later in the day can have an effect on your muscle strength during your workout. This occurs because of the change in hormone levels and core body temperature.
- Increased flexibility. After that long night of sleep your muscles will be tighter and for those early mornings you will need to work on opening your muscles and warming up more than with evening workouts. Our flexibility increases throughout the day as we move around and do our daily tasks.
- Better quality of sleep. When you workout in the evening your body and mind relaxes as your body starts to release endorphins. Do keep in mind that you should avoid high intensity workouts at least 2 hours before bed time. When you have better quality sleep you also increase your metabolism.
- Accomplishment and peace. Working out will leave you feeling accomplished as the day is coming to an end. You don’t need to worry about any tasks you had during the day and you can focus on eating well and starting your night routine.
- The last but not least point to keep in mind is that you don’t need to be an early riser for an awesome evening workout. Many don’t like waking up early in the morning and the truth is that not everyone is a morning person, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
If you decide to change your workouts for later in the day or you enjoy your active mornings remember that the most important workout is the one you do. It’s not always about timing or routine, sometimes it’s just about moving your body and feeling good.
Sign-up for The Block
We solemnly do swear to absolutely never spam you but to only give you content that you'll really love.